Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Thinking and Fainting

Post Blog
So, today is Day 2 of my public journey and after spending last night reading my first three posts 10x each (I am a little OCD when I write something down) and getting very little sleep out of fear of not waking up in time to attend a welcome ceremony by Obama for President Calderon of Mexico, I finally woke up after several snooze naps.

Making Progress
In keeping with my mission, between writing my last blog and going to sleep last night I decided that I would cease all business development activities and limit attendance at events through the end of the year and just focus on my current clients and the Muse projects I have decided to pursue. This took a big weight off of my shoulders because I have been so focused on making more money that I have felt overwhelmed and unable to concentrate on some of the great ideas I want to pursue (including the one that I hope will connect me with Sheila Johnson). So screw quick money, roll with what I have, and do something wonderful with my clients and believe in my original vision. Progress! (Please make me stick to this...)

Wonderful Development
On March 15th, I made a huge step and hired my first full-time employee, my Creative Director, none other than the amazing Donovon Bradford. He is the other person, besides Hubby, who made me The Muse. He gave Alex his first big exposure in the art world when he ran a wonderful gallery and lounge, Red Door, in Capitol Hill. He was there when the first event I got behind was a total flop (well, not total because it was fab, but with no attendees...you get the point), he took the most amazing pictures of me when I had been running from cameras since I was diagnosed with Grave's Eyes Disease and I instantly wanted him as my bff (and I had never used that term before meeting him...lol).

Anyway, Donovon got Muse business cards the same day as I did when it was just a concept in my mind and he has been my cheerleader, business partner, and witness to all my emotional ups and downs and the inner workings of my "beautiful mind" and for this he deserves a medal, believe me. We have been pursuing different venues to pitch some event and branding ideas to because we know that we can do something new and interesting here in DC. Well, yesterday we dared to ask for what we really wanted which is our own venue...more specifically, Donovon needs his own space and Muse needs a surrogate home to bring our ideas to life (yay, for working on #7).

Donovon was presented with an offer he could not refuse. Because of his amazingness, his cousin/best friend, wants to invest in anything he presents a business plan for. All the stars aligned and Donovon decided that having his own restaurant/lounge was the way to go and I simultaneously thought the same thing (this happens to us a lot) and now we are working on the business plan and I already have additional investors in mind and I am so happy for him and Muse vicariously.

Today
So, God obviously wanted to give me a sign that all this progress and greatness was enough for a little while because I did wake up in time to make the event this morning and everything was going great. Malcolm aka "The Fojo" and I, in true VIP style, got swooped to the front of the line for prime viewing for the ceremony and we were settling in for our 2 hour wait for the event to start. Alls well, taking photos, taking it all in. All of a sudden I feel a little queasy, then light headed then out of it for like 2 seconds. Oh shit, did I faint? After getting out of the crowd and getting a cup of water, I was fine...but we lost our prime viewing spot and I spent the rest of the time trying not to be freaked out by the episode...I think Malcolm was doing the same.

Needless to say, I came home, ate a big plate of spaghetti (thanks Father in Law) and took my butt to sleep. I have been taking it easy all day and trying not to ignore that warning sign and just being happy with my progress to date. Back to work tomorrow.

-The Muse

2 comments:

  1. Sometimes when I read your stuff I think we lead somewhat parallel lives, except you have the courage to share yours with the world

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are definitely riding the same wavelength! Believe me, this is the hardest thing I have ever done. I like my "superwoman" image!

    ReplyDelete